Cockroaches carry and transmit a variety of serious such as dysentery and typhoid. It is therefore important to take immediate action if you notice any signs of cockroach infestation in your home. Cockroach infestation signs include cockroach faeces, asthmatic reactions or actually spotting them in your home. If left unchecked, cockroaches can breed very fast and spread to adjacent property. Below are top 8 effective ways to prevent cockroaches from breeding in your home
1. Keep your house clean always- Keeping your home clean is one of the first things you need to do to prevent cockroaches from breeding. Dispose any food leftovers and wastes. Wash your dishes, cooking areas, kitchen equipment, and tabletops. Cockroaches breed in dirty areas, remove all the rotting foods and garbage from your home to prevent cockroaches from breeding. Remove any leftover pet food, food debris under the stove or cooker, clean all food spillages immediately, remove soiled nappies and dirty clothes, and avoid leaving liquids in buckets or sinks overnight. Cockroaches need food to survive; by removing all the food waste and garbage, you are depleting their food supply, which will prevent them from breeding and multiplying.
2. Use chemicals to treat possible breeding areas- Cockroaches breed in dark places such as behind cupboards, in drainage systems, under heavy furniture etc and come out at night to search for food. Identify and treat breeding areas with chemical substances to get rid of roaches. Seal all cracked walls and cabinets since cockroaches hide and breed in these places.
3. Control them using repellents and insecticides- There are many insecticides and sprays you can use to repel and kill cockroaches before they breed and multiply in your home. You can buy a good cockroach insecticide from your local store. Just make sure to read the instructions to understand how the insecticide works and how you should apply it to get rid of cockroaches safely. Be careful, avoid cheap insecticides as they are often less effective, and many times can be harmful to the environment and your family.
4. Electronic cockroach control- Electronic devices control cockroaches by affecting their nervous system. The devices emit high-pitched frequency waves that repel the pests and reduce their reproduction. Electronic devices are safe and highly effective as they repel cockroaches and prevent them from breeding in your home.
5. Cover all your foods- Cockroaches need food to survive. Without food, they are unable to reproduce. Covering all the food in your home will prevent them from breeding and multiplying. They will eventually die or move out from your home to look for food sources. Keep food in tightly sealed containers or boxes. Remove any food spills, keep the trashcan empty, and clean to starve the cockroaches.
6. Use cockroach traps- Using Cockroach traps is another safe and effective method of getting rid of cockroaches. You simply place traps in potential breeding places such as under heavy furniture, near waste disposal places where roaches frequent for food etc. The traps have adhesives that lure cockroaches.
7. Seal all crevices and cracks- As mentioned above, cockroaches breed in dark paces including cracks and crevices. By sealing all the crevices and cracks in your home, you are eliminating their preferred hiding, breeding places, and blocking their entrance to your home. Look for, seal all cracks in the cabinet, wall, window moldings, floor, and fill all openings that might be around your kitchen or bathroom pipes. Reducing the number of places cockroaches hide will reduce their breeding and their numbers in your home. To prevent cockroaches from coming into your home through drains you can put a fine net over drains in the bathroom and kitchen, in addition frequently pour boiling water down the drain to kill cockroaches and prevent them from breeding
8. Keep yard debris away from the house- Cockroaches love hiding in piles of debris and wood and come into your house to look for food or during the cold seasons to keep warm. Keep any yard debris away from your house to prevent cockroaches from finding their way into your house.
Sealing their entry to your home, keeping your house clean, removing all food and water sources, and using safe and effective chemicals to kill cockroaches are all effective ways to prevent cockroaches from breeding in your home. Once you have managed to get rid of cockroaches from your home, maintain the preventive measures to prevent re-infestation and breeding. Cockroaches breed very first, take action to get rid of them right away to avoid a major infestation.